How to Make Vanilla Salve for Dry Skin
Homesteading and homemaking are rough on our hands all year round. But winter is especially difficult on our skin. The dry air sucks the moisture out of our skin, leaving it chapped and sore. This luxurious vanilla salve for dry skin is the perfect way to moisturize and heal your skin. It also has the most deliciously wonderful scent!
The recipe is super easy to make and this salve is great for keeping on your nightstand, next to the sink, or for giving to your loved ones! Make a batch in about 15 minutes and enjoy this nourishing vanilla hand salve for months to come.
This post contains affiliate links or advertisements. You won’t pay extra but I may earn a small commission if you purchase products through those links. Thank you for supporting The Self Sufficient HomeAcre!
Make Vanilla Salve From Scratch
You only need 3 ingredients and a few minutes to make this amazing hand salve! If it was a long involved process I wouldn’t get around to making my own salves very often. But it is so easy that I don’t knoe why so few people make their own.
So let’s dive in and make some of the most deliciously sumptuous salve for dry skin that I’ve ever tried!
You will need oil, beeswax, and vanilla essential oil. Add some vitamin E oil to help heal dry skin if you like. I also enjoy the added scent and healing properties of cocoa butter, but these extras are not necessary if you don’t have them on hand.
I’ve used several different oils to create salves and they all work wonderfully. My suggestions for the best oils to use are coconut, olive, jojoba, grape seed, and sweet almond. Each oil has different properties but all work very well for homemade salves and ointments.
A double boiler or a pan with a small metal bowl are also needed to melt your beeswax and oil together.
- Double boiler
- 1 1/4 cup oil olive, sweet almond, coconut, jojoba, or grapeseed
- 5 tbsps beeswax pellets
- 2 tbsps cocoa butter optional
- 1 tsp vitamin E oil optional
- 15 – 20 drops vanilla essential oil
- Add 2 or 3 " of water to bottom pan of the double boiler. The water level should be lower than the bottom of the top pan of the double boiler. Place the top pan on the bottom pan and place on a medium-low burner.
- Add the oil and beeswax to the top pan, making sure no drops of water get in the oil. If you are using cocoa butter, add it to the oil mixture now.
- Gently stir the mixture until the beeswax melts completely. Turn the burner off.
- Add the vanilla essential oil and vitamin E oil (if using) to the oil mixture.
- Remove the top pan carefully and dry the bottom of the pan to prevent water from getting into oil mixture.
- Pour the oil mixture into tins and allow to cool.
Vanilla Salve For Gift Giving!
This sumptuous salve makes a delightful gift for anyone who loves the scent of vanilla. Try pairing a tin of this vanilla hand salve with some handmade Vanilla Sugar Scrub, vanilla lip balm, or vanilla body spray for a luxurious spa gift.
Is peppermint more your style? Try making a Peppermint Bath & Body Gift Set!
Do you make your own salves and balms? Leave a comment!