Chocolate Peanut Butter Candy Eggs!
This chocolate peanut butter candy egg recipe is a big hit at our house! We all love peanut butter and chocolate and have a hard time resisting that ‘popular brand’.
Of course, it’s fun to fill Easter baskets with their chocolate peanut butter candy eggs this time of year. 🙂 But if you are hoping to save a little cash and give your family an all-natural homemade version of this popular treat, I’ve got you covered!
This recipe takes just a few ingredients and there’s nothing artificial in them (except those multi-colored sprinkles). I can’t make any claims about them being low in fat or sugar, that would be a lie. But I can tell you that they taste great and you can make a batch in about an hour. Your whole family will enjoy them…so be prepared to make a second batch, because I guarantee that they won’t last very long!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Candy Eggs
Just a note before we begin… you’ll want to store these candies in the refrigerator because the chocolate coating does get rather soft and melty.
I’m thinking about using food grade beeswax in the dipping chocolate the next time I make my own candy. Hopefully, that will help reduce the ‘melt in your hands’ aspect of these yummy treats. 🙂
This post contains affiliate links or advertisements. You won’t pay extra but I may earn a small commission if you purchase products through those links. Thank you for supporting The Self Sufficient HomeAcre!
Homemade All-Natural Chocolates for Special Occasions!
I almost never buy candy. For special occasions, I sometimes purchase organic chocolate bars as gifts. But recently I started making my own all-natural chocolates to give instead.
Growing up, my Mom would often make sweets for holidays, birthdays, and special gifts. I think I learned from her that a homemade gift is much more special and appreciated than something purchased.
I remember making these chocolate peanut butter egg candies back then, so I asked my Mom for the recipe. She shared several recipes with me that we used to make back in the day. 🙂 I’m hoping to try more of them!
Cooking, baking, and making sweets from scratch is a great way to learn a homesteading skill that anyone can do…no matter where you live! Try creating your own chocolates for those special occasions and as gifts for your family and friends!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Candy Eggs
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 cup peanut butter creamy style
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or food-grade beeswax, grated
- In mixing bowl combine confectioners sugar, melted butter, peanut butter, salt, and granulated sugar. Mix until smooth.
- Shape spoonfuls of peanut butter mixture into egg shapes. Place on waxed paper and chill for 10 minutes to harden. While eggs chill, get chocolate ready.
- Place chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small bowl over a pan of hot water. (A double boiler works well.) Stir until smooth. This takes a few minutes. Be careful not to get water into the chocolate.
- Place peanut butter eggs, one at a time, into melted chocolate. Remove from chocolate and place on waxed paper lined cookie tin. Top with sprinkles if desired.
- Place sheet of dipped eggs into the refrigerator for 20 minutes or so to chill and harden. Keep refrigerated until ready to eat.
A Twist on a Popular Candy
Although these Chocolate Peanut Butter Candy Eggs taste very close to the big name brand, they are actually a twist on those popular Buckeyes you see around Christmas time. I tweaked the recipe that my Mom used a bit and shaped them into eggs for an Easter treat. I hope you enjoy these melt in your mouth chocolate candies!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.