All-Natural Peppermint Patty Recipe…Yum!
This all-natural peppermint patty recipe is a delicious treat to make for a special occasion, or as a replacement for store-bought candy! I love peppermint patties…they’re one of my favorite candies. And I’m not above purchasing the famous version available in the candy aisle…ahem. I even tried a natural version from my co-op that was made with honey. They were tasty but pricey.
This post contains affiliate links and advertisements.
Homemade Peppermint Patties
After trying the all-natural version I got a bee in my bonnet to make my own peppermint patties! There are a ton of recipes online, but I created my own instead. Sometimes this works out great, sometimes it’s a total flop. This recipe works great and we love them!
Some recipes use sweetened condensed milk, corn syrup, and butter. I may go back and try some of those in the future. However, this one came out really tasty! This recipe uses honey, peppermint oil, confectioners sugar, organic dark chocolate chips, and coconut oil.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Peppermint Patty Recipe
I used raw honey as the base and added pure peppermint oil. Add confectioners sugar to this mixture until it resembles a fondant or dough that can be rolled out and cut into circles.
The candies went in the freezer to harden while I melted my dark chocolate chips with a little coconut oil. Then, once I had the dipping chocolate ready, I pulled the candies out of the freezer, dipped them, set them on waxed paper to harden, and topped each peppermint patty with decorations to make them festive.
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/4 tsp peppermint oil food grade
- 3 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine honey and peppermint oil.
- Add confectioners sugar 1/2 cup at a time, and combine until all of the sugar is incorporated. As sugar is added, it will become difficult to stir and you will have to knead the rest of sugar in, to make a soft dough.
- Use a sifter to cover the counter with confectioners sugar. Roll dough out to about 1/2 – 1" thick (as desired). Cut dough into rounds with a cookie cutter or round glass.
- Place candies on a cookie sheet and place in freezer for 15 t 20 minutes to harden.
- While candies harden, prepare dipping chocolate. Using a double boiler or a bowl set on top of another bowl, place chocolate chips and coconut oil in the top bowl. Fill bottom pan or bowl with very hot water.
- Stir chocolate chips and coconut oil as they melt, being very careful not to get any water from the bottom pan into chocolate mixture.
- When chocolate is melted and smooth, remove candies from the freezer. Dip each candy in the melted chocolate, cover with chocolate, and remove with a dipping tool or a 2 pronged fork.
- Place coated candy on waxed paper and top with edible decorations, if desired. Allow them to harden.
- Store candies in the refrigerator until consumed.
Some Tips For Making Your Own Peppermint Patty Candies
If you aren’t really that concerned about the ingredients, you can certainly try one of the popular recipes online. The one that I used as a starting point for my recipe is from Butter with a Side of Bread. I didn’t have corn syrup (I haven’t used it in ages) or peppermint extract to follow these recipes.
Since I wasn’t going to the store, I replaced the corn syrup with honey and used the info from this post about replacing peppermint extract with peppermint oil…How Do I Substitute Peppermint Oil for Peppermint Extract? If you are using a different brand of peppermint oil, or if you are using peppermint extract, you may need to adjust the amount you use.
Do you like to make candy for special occasions? What is your favorite? Leave a comment!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.