The Black Plague…I Mean Black Friday…

38 Comments on The Black Plague…I Mean Black Friday…

Keep more money in your pocket!

Do we really need to shop today to save a little cash?

Puts Me in a Black Mood

I avoid shopping on Black Friday like it’s the plague. I know that there are many people who need to be back to work on Monday. They have a long list of gifts to find but a small budget. TV commercials have fueled the extensive wish list that our children (and most adults) filled out. Theyย thinkย they need the latest gadget, video game, or fashion ensemble. So, well-meaning shoppers crowd the stores trying to get the most for their money.

I’m Staying Home!

I refuse to join the grumpy crowds searching for the limited quantities of super reduced price televisions, laptops, gaming systems, toys, and ‘gotta-have-its’ available for only a couple hours on Black Friday morning. I don’t ‘gotta-have-it.’ I don’t wanna have it.

I asked for a plant stand for Christmas. It’s a stand that will allow me to start some herbs in my sunny, south-facing, sliding glass door. The plant stand I want will keep the plants up where my goofy dog Rocky can’t eat them. At least, that’s my hope. I asked for this plant stand a month ago. No one has to stand in line to purchase it. Nobody needs to get tackled and tazed by mall security for the one item on my wish list.

Shopping on normal shopping days makes me feel grumpy and anti-social. Going out today would put me in the blackest mood of the year.

Are you shopping today? Staying home to pick on leftover turkey? Starting your homemade gifts? Does shopping on Black Friday put you in a black mood too?

38 comments on “The Black Plague…I Mean Black Friday…

1. Small House Under a Big Sky

We’ve pretty much down-scaled Christmas and shopping to a minimum. I have no reason to go shopping on Black Friday and use it as a day to kick back and enjoy the fire in the fireplace, a good book etc.Having said that my husband still works part-time at Menard’s and he is required to be at work at 5 a.m. that day. Hhis alarm is set for 3:30 a.m. Being a worker on BF is the pits! We both feel that employees should have a choice; not work and be with family or choose to work and earn double or triple time. But forcing a 69 year old man with bad legs and painful feet to stand on cement for 8 hours on Black Friday approaches serfdom….Unfortunately Menard’s like Wallmart’s chooses small rural communities to build their stores – where folks have few other option for employment.

I’m so sorry that your husband had to work on Black Friday ๐Ÿ™ I was not aware that Menards was like that. I have shopped there instead of H Depot and Lowe’s many times because they seem to have more made in the USA products, but this makes me unhappy with them. It’s so hard to know where to shop these days. I try to buy more locally grown and made products, but we don’t have a local faucet maker or a local refrigerator shop. Sigh.

Thanks for sharing…I will continue looking for small businesses who sell the products that I need.

2. cherylwissler

All the holidays are too commercial and lots of us forget the real meaning of Christmas. Its not about gifts and spending money. We gift each other all year on the stuff we need and catch some good buys to boot. To me Christmas is a birthday and I make cake ! I just remember its more better to give than receive. There are many ways to celebrate by giving of yourself to those less fortunate in your community. But I wish you all a happy holiday season no matter how you celebrate.

1. cherylwissler

Amen is the right answer to my comments. I remember when the kids were little that we wrote things we could do for each other on paper and put them in envelopes addressed to the receivers. Doing little chores for each other. Every little bit helps and I instilled in them caring for others. Giving homemade stuff works too… a little bit of creative love put into a gift.

My chickens are moping around due to the cold weather so I put up a white light for therapy. Jury is still out ! They like it when I bundle up and sit out with them while I read a book. Yes, even in the cold.

My siblings and I did the same thing when we were kids. With only one child, we didn’t do that as much when he was young, but he has grown up to be a very easy to please young man. He asks for so little that I always give him something extra that I know he will like. I would make homemade treats for him when he was young, a teddy bear shaped sweet roll on Christmas morning was one of his favorites!

What lucky chickens you have! Mine seem to be doing fine as long as there isn’t any snow…they still go outside in the cold to search for seeds in the pasture. I hope the good weather lasts for awhile longer.

Blessings for a Wonderful Christmas at your house!

3. Regula

Just what I said to my husband the other day: There are people in the States who don’t go shopping on Black Friday. I most definitely wouldn’t. ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Donna Frost

This was the first time in years that I went shopping by myself but our daughter-in-law’s mom couldn’t go this year. Yes, I admit it, I was seduced not by social fun as in past years but by coupons. One farm and feed store does an annual sale on wild bird seed. Ace hardware had a 50% off coupon on anything less than $30. I scanned housewares, etc for anything we needed but ended up buying a very nice hanging planter (I had hoped for a nice quart bottle of fish emulsion but not much in garden things this time of year). I have enough canning jars but it would have been great to get a case at half price. The local bookstore offered 10% off but I had bought Christmas presents at their annual 25% off sale in August. I forgot to visit a CVS store for 30% off almost everything and we could have used some things like Blistex. Also visited the craft supply store for some things for our grandchildren. But I agree that valuable time is wasted standing hours in line for a huge tv or similar. I don’t do that kind of shopping. My husband and I just stuff each other’s stockings.

I’m glad that you saved money on things you needed, Donna. I hope it wasn’t too much of a pain in the neck! We tend to get each other things that are useful and will be appreciated for gifts. Sometimes we don’t get anything and just have a nice dinner together at home. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. wen budro

Great post!!! I agree with you 100% I am on a fixed income and need to save money….but I’m not willing to get trampled for a discount anything. It seems like a lot of businesses slowly raise their prices a few months before Black Friday….and, then, discount back to the prices they were before Black Friday.

6. LuckyRobin

There is nothing we need that will ever be worth going to one of those Black Friday specials. Anyway, with careful budgeting throughout the year, I am able to buy what I need by saving up for things and buying a quality item, not some cheap thing that will likely break within a few months’ time.

7. Janet

I shouldn’t, but I feel those people that fight each other for Black Friday Deals are pretty pitiful. I have better things to do. “Stuff” doesn’t make me happy.

8. Karen

My husband and I went to the gym. I try to start my shopping early so I can spread out the cost. The hype for Black Friday is just more than I like. I do try to buy form local shops as much as possible. My hens are expecting me to do my daily cleaning and provide them with some tasty spinach. We are enjoying being home.

9. brendalgh

I just don’t like to get out into the crowds, traffic, no place to park, and fighting to get to a certain item. It’s crazy to put up with all that just to save a bit of money; besides, sometimes you can find the same item elsewhere, later, for the same price or less. We try to shop locally anyway, keeping money moving in our own small town. http://southernurbanhomesteader. com visit us on our blog, on facebook, on twitter, on Pinterest.

10. Ken

I don’t really want to go shopping today! However, it is my punishment! Due to all the rush getting ready for Thanksgiving I forgot to get chicken feed. No matter how much I hate the idea I won’t let my chickens go without feed! I know they like to eat as much as I do. Besides, I owe them a lot for the great job they did cleaning the meat off those turkey bones! Saved me a lot of time & did a better job than I would have.

Well, you’re a good chicken keeper, Ken! Usually it’s not as bad at the farm stores. I hope your trip went well. ๐Ÿ™‚ My chickens got the turkey bones too, after I made soup with them!

11. Jenn

Nope! We actually stopped buying things for the most part, except for food items and supplies. Other needs can be taken care of with second hand items. We just got fed up with all the advertising and environmental issues/ sweat shop issues, whether something is BPA free or lead free, blah blah blah, that we just couldn’t keep up with. Seemed so much easier just to stop playing the consumer game altogether. Christmas is a home made affair around here, no complaints yet!

That’s awesome, Jenn! I am in complete agreement with you about the advertising, environmental and social issues. I like to buy fair trade items when I can and second hand is my clothing choice now too. Thanks for sharing!

2. ~Taylor-Made Ranch Homestead~

I’m right there with ya Jenn. I hate that from my perspective the holidays have shifted from the most beautiful, caring season of the year to the most “what’s in it for ME” season. We’ve gone all homemade gifts for the past several years except for our grandbabies. This year we’re pulling away from toys and such for them and getting them experience gifts, I’m so excited about that and so are they.

~Taylor-Made Ranch Homestead~
      Texas

12. Carmen

In my teens and early twenties my friends and I did this all the time. It was a lot of fun and we made a social day of it, including lunch. The media always shows you the worst of it. There are a lot of people who do this for the social thing. As I got older I feel exactly the way you do now. But I have a lot of fun memories of this day. (I also feel this way about sitting at football games,etc. but I know a lot of enthusiasts who wouldn’t miss them for the world.)

1. Ellen C

As a teenager, my best friend and I did the same as Carmen – a social activity with lunch. But it seems that increased age and crowd tolerance are inversely proportional as well as tolerance for extravagant displays. I enjoy being home so much more!

1. Carmen

Thank you so much! I was beginning to think I was the only one who did that, although I saw a lot of other people enjoying themselves along time ago too. The lights, the music, the people watching. It’s just fun when you are young.

I think that things were more civil when we were younger. I do remember the craze over cabbage patch dolls…but it seemed like that was very unusual. And I DO like to get together with friends for coffee or lunch on occasion…but I can’t imagine doing that on Black Friday nowadays!

13. gardenvalleysally

Amen. I’m not much for shopping, so no, Black Friday shopping doesn’t appeal to me. I do, sometimes, take advantage of online deals.

My oldest son works at Target Store. He had to work until midnight last night, all day today, and tomorrow, and the next day. Poor guy!! (Oh, well. At least he has WORK, right!)

14. Martha

I have a handicapped child and due to Christmas comercials starting Oct I have been wished a Merry Christmas everyday since. Yes I know that is sweet but you tend to get burn’nt out quickly. No I will not be shopping Black Friday,there is nothing out there that is worth saving a few dollars. Fighting the crowds, losing sleep – Hmmmmm really not worth it. Infact I’ve never shopped on Black Friday.

1. Martha

Lisa Lynn – Merry Christmas to you and yours ๐Ÿ™‚ Always busy between the Holidays and the Farm. Just have to remind myself – Breathe!!!!!!!