The New Arrivals!

20 Comments on The New Arrivals!

The New Arrivals!

A Mixed Basket

A Mixed Basket

Khaki Campbell Ducklings

Khaki Campbell Ducklings

Easter Egger :)

Easter Egger πŸ™‚

20 comments on “The New Arrivals!

Good question, Kaye. The ducks and most of the chicks are for eggs. There are 2 little Cornish X chicks for meat (unless I go all soft and decide to try keeping another pullet for eggs) and all of the turkeys are for meat too. Although I am considering keeping a turkey hen to breed and raise larger hertiage turkeys crossed with broad breasted next year. πŸ™‚

1. Philenese

Will be getting chicks late this year, the Poultry class at school will start the incubators Friday. Since we have no facilities for chickens at the farm, just lots of pedigreed cattle and coyotes, I have to take whatever survives. Got three last spring and five last fall from 4 dozen hatching eggs.

Does anyone know where I can get some silver appleyard eggs?

Best wishes with the school hatch, Philenese! I’m sorry I don’t have any sources for hatching eggs. You might want to try looking on Craigslist for you area to see if there is anyone nearby. From what I’ve heard, shipping hatching eggs doesn’t always produce good results.

2. Mandi

Oh, They are precious! πŸ™‚ We’re still waiting on our chicks. (Holding out for some Buff Orpingtons that he feed store assures us will be coming…)

3. Teri A

We just got our first little flock this past week. Two buff orpingtons, two leg horns, two auracaunas, and two white plymouth rocks. They are so adorable, and it isn’t taking long to get to know their little personalities. Gotta finish the chicken coop now.

Thanks, Brendalgh πŸ™‚ Ducks are messier than chickens, so start out small if you do decide to try ducks later on. I think I’ll try to pare my duck flock down to no more than a half dozen full time residents. πŸ˜‰

4. Monique Brown

They’re all cute but those ducklings are the best. I’m going to try some naturally hatched chicks this spring – I got some Buff Orpingtons last year especially for that purpose, as they’re supposed to be really good mothers.

Hi Monique,
      I had a Buff Orpington that went broody, but she never did hatch any out. I hope you have better luck with them! I have a Turken and a Barred Rock that seem to be spending a lot of time on the nest πŸ™‚

I’m having so much fun with the little ducklings…they are so stinkin’ cute πŸ˜‰

5. Holly

Oh my. We are in the process of moving, so I can’t order any bird babies this spring. This is making it hard to resist!! Those Khaki Campbells are beautiful!!

You have plenty to keep you busy, Holly! Before you know it, you’ll be moved, settled, and thinking about baby birds again. πŸ™‚ Best wishes with your move!

6. Jeff Bushman

Is there anything more adorable than chicks and ducklings?
    Last year I had a couple Sweedish Black ducks. They were great ducks and foraged all over my yard and in the woods. It was my first time with ducks and the winter was awful on them and me. I decided to re-home them if I could in the spring but before I could my female (LuLu) disappeared one day without a trace. My poor male (Louie) was heartbroken and walked around for days calling and looking for her. I finally found someone to take him who had some other ducks and a nice big pond. I still miss those critters, but it was too much hassle without a pond to think of having them again.

I’m sorry to hear about LuLu, Jeff. Poor Louie πŸ™ I don’t have a pond for my ducks, but I have a large water container that they have a blast swimming in, when it’s warm enough. They are very messy to keep and I hope to someday have a pond for them.