Quick and Easy Recipe for Salted Cinnamon Shortbread
Salted Cinnamon Shortbread is a super easy cookie to make for a quick and delicious treat! This is a versatile recipe that may be changed up a bit for different flavors.
The original recipe is from The Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook. Salted Cinnamon Shortbread is a new twist on this old English recipe!
This post contains affiliate links or advertisements.
Shortbread – A Versatile Cookie!
Shortbread is made with just a few ingredients, takes very little ‘work’ and the results are rich and super tasty.
Try another spice in place of or in addition to the cinnamon if you like! You might enjoy salted ginger, nutmeg, allspice, or cardamom for the topping in place of (or in addition to) cinnamon. If you like, you may also chop pecans, pistachios, or walnuts and press them into the top of your dough for a nutty version of this recipe. Yum!
Salted Cinnamon Shortbread Recipe
You don’t really need anything special to make this recipe, as long as you have plenty of butter on hand. The hardest part is resisting the urge to eat the entire batch in one sitting. Here’s the recipe…feel free to print out for your recipe box!
Salted Cinnamon Shortbread Cookies
- 1 1/4 cup unbleached wheat flour
- 3 tbsps sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- cinnamon and sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add 3 tablespoons sugar and combine.
- Cut butter into the dry ingredients with a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Knead dough until smooth. Shape into a ball.
- Place the ball of dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet and use fingers to press and flatten the dough into a circle, about 8" in diameter. Use fingers to create a scalloped edge.
- Use a large knife to cut dough into 16 wedges. Do not remove wedges, leave them in the circle.
- Use a salt shaker to sprinkle the top of the dough lightly with salt. Sprinkle top of the dough lightly with cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Bake shortbread for 25 – 30 minutes in a preheated oven, or until edges are lightly browned and dough in the center is set.
- Use a knife to cut along previously formed lines. Allow shortbread to cool for 5 minutes. Use a metal spatula to remove cookies from pan and cool thoroughly on a wire rack.
The Best Shortbread is Baked from Scratch!
If you’ve had storebought shortbread, you may have found it lacking. Oh, it’s okay. But anyone who’s tried homemade shortbread will probably turn their nose up at the kind from the store.
Making your own food from scratch saves money and it just tastes so much better! Any time you can find a recipe that is really easy and still tastes delicious, it’s a keeper. So why not make a few easy recipes from scratch each week when you have a bit of extra time. Your tastebuds will thank you!
Check out my guide to DIY Baking Powder, Cake Flour, and Self-Rising Flour!
Getting Ready for holiday baking? Here are some delicious recipes to try…
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Shared on these Linky Parties
In addition to writing for her own websites, Lisa has contributed articles to The Prepper Project and Homestead.org.
The author lives outside of Chicago with her husband, son, 2 dogs, 1 cat, and a variety of poultry.