Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread is Delectable Enough for Dessert!
I love zucchini bread and this Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread is one of my favorite recipes! My family really likes chocolate and although we like plain zucchini bread, this recipe includes a double dose of chocolatey goodness that nobody can’t resist!
This is one of my go-to recipes for using up the oodles of zucchini I harvest from the garden each summer. I hope you enjoy it too!
Are You Ready for Some Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread?
I created this recipe at least 15 years ago. We had an abundance of zucchini (what’s new?!) and I wanted to try something different. I had an inspiration to add chocolate chips…that was yummy! Next, I tried adding cocoa powder and knew this recipe was a keeper. That was one experimental recipe that was gone very quickly. Now I usually make a double recipe for 4 loaves of this delectable bread at a time!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 3 cups flour unbleached
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups zucchini, grated
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil canola
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and flour two 8 x 4 x 2" loaf pans and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl combine sugar, shredded zucchini, eggs, and oil. Mix well.
- Add flour mixture to zucchini mixture and stir just till combined.
- Fold chocolate chips into batter.
- Pour half of the batter into each greased and floured loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes then turn bread out on rack and cool completely. Wrap and store in refrigerator overnight before slicing (if you have the willpower!)
My Healthy Adaptations to this Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread Recipe…
I use organic flour and usually replace half of the unbleached flour with whole wheat or multi-grain flour to make this a bit healthier. You can use olive oil, or even applesauce, in place of the canola oil if you wish. I buy fair trade, organic chocolate chips, and cocoa powder ever since we read that most chocolate is grown with slave labor.
This bread is good enough to serve as a dessert, even when you make the healthy changes to the recipe!
Delicious Ways to Use Your Zucchini Harvest!
I also enjoy making Zucchini Fritters, Carrot Zucchini Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting, and Zucchini Pineapple Bread. My friend Kathi from Oakhill Homestead has even more ideas for using up your zucchini harvest!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.